Journal metrics

Journal metrics

  • IF value: 2.289 IF 2.289
  • IF 5-year value: 2.756 IF 5-year 2.756
  • CiteScore value: 2.76 CiteScore 2.76
  • SNIP value: 1.050 SNIP 1.050
  • SJR value: 1.554 SJR 1.554
  • IPP value: 2.65 IPP 2.65
  • h5-index value: 30 h5-index 30
  • Scimago H index value: 41 Scimago H index 41
Discussion papers | Copyright
https://doi.org/10.5194/os-2018-36
© Author(s) 2018. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.

Research article 23 Apr 2018

Research article | 23 Apr 2018

Review status
This discussion paper is a preprint. It is a manuscript under review for the journal Ocean Science (OS).

Heat, salt, and volume transports in the eastern Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean, from two years of mooring observations

Andrey Pnyushkov1, Igor Polyakov2, Robert Rember1, Vladimir Ivanov4, Matthew B. Alkire3, Igor Ashik4, Till M. Baumann1, Genrikh Alekseev4, and Arild Sundjord5 Andrey Pnyushkov et al.
  • 1International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, USA
  • 2International Arctic Research Center and College of Natural Science and Mathematics, University of Alaska Fairbanks, AK, USA
  • 3Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
  • 4Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute, St. Petersburg, Russia
  • 5Norwegian Polar Institute, Fram Centre, Tromsø, Norway

Abstract. This study discusses along-slope volume, heat, and salt transports derived from observations collected in 2013–15 using a cross-slope array of six moorings ranging from 250m to 3900m in the eastern Eurasian Basin (EB) of the Arctic Ocean. These observations demonstrate that in the upper 780m layer, the along-slope boundary current advected, on average, 5.1±0.1Sv of water, predominantly in the eastward (shallow-to-right) direction. Monthly net volume transports across the Laptev Sea slope vary widely, from ~0.3±0.8 in April 2014 to ~9.9±0.8Sv in June 2014. 3.1±0.1Sv (or 60%) of the net transport was associated with warm and salty intermediate-depth Atlantic Water (AW). Calculated heat transport for 2013–15 (relative to −1.8°C) was 46.0±1.7TW, and net salt transport (relative to zero salinity) was 172±6Mkg/s. Estimates for AW heat and salt transports were 32.7±1.3TW (71% of net heat transport) and 112±4Mkg/s (65% of net salt transport). The variability of currents explains ~90% of the variability of the heat and salt transports. The remaining ~10% is controlled by temperature and salinity anomalies together with temporal variability of the AW layer thickness. The annual mean volume transports decreased by 25% from 5.8±0.2Sv in 2013–14 to 4.4±0.2Sv in 2014–15 suggesting that changes of the transports at interannual and longer time scales in the eastern EB may be significant.

Download & links
Andrey Pnyushkov et al.
Interactive discussion
Status: final response (author comments only)
Status: final response (author comments only)
AC: Author comment | RC: Referee comment | SC: Short comment | EC: Editor comment
[Login for Authors/Topic Editors] [Subscribe to comment alert] Printer-friendly Version - Printer-friendly version Supplement - Supplement
Andrey Pnyushkov et al.
Andrey Pnyushkov et al.
Viewed
Total article views: 447 (including HTML, PDF, and XML)
HTML PDF XML Total BibTeX EndNote
392 46 9 447 9 10
  • HTML: 392
  • PDF: 46
  • XML: 9
  • Total: 447
  • BibTeX: 9
  • EndNote: 10
Views and downloads (calculated since 23 Apr 2018)
Cumulative views and downloads (calculated since 23 Apr 2018)
Viewed (geographical distribution)
Total article views: 447 (including HTML, PDF, and XML) Thereof 447 with geography defined and 0 with unknown origin.
Country # Views %
  • 1
1
 
 
 
 
Cited
Saved
No saved metrics found.
Discussed
No discussed metrics found.
Latest update: 16 Aug 2018
Publications Copernicus
Download
Short summary
This study describes along-slope volume, heat, and salt transports derived from observations collected between 2013 and 2015 in the eastern Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean using a cross-slope array of six moorings. Inferred transport estimates may have wide implications and should be considered when assessing high-latitude ocean dynamics.
This study describes along-slope volume, heat, and salt transports derived from observations...
Citation
Share